Happy new year scouts!
One of the tasks I will be completing in the first few weeks of the new year, is a review and update of my own, and my clients’ social media channels.
When we look at our own social media accounts so frequently, we tend to stop seeing some of what is actually there…
When was the last time you really read your own Bio or About section?
Is it still relevant to who you are, and how you use the account?
Are your contact details up to date?
Do your profile pictures and header photos still visually reflect who you are?
You can review and update them at any time, but I LOVE the new year for a fresh new outlook.
It doesn’t need to be arduous, but I recommend allowing at least half an hour per channel, which can also include your LinkedIn personal profile (which may require a little longer if detailed written updates are required).
Social Media Channel Update Checklist
The main points I recommend reviewing and updating are listed below.
They can be downloaded as a handy checklist by subscribing here:
Social media review and update tasks:
- Update profile picture
- Update cover/header photo
Bonus tip: For Facebook, give your profile and cover photos a written description, for example a call to action to learn more on your website with a link.
- Review and update contact details
- Review and update Bio/About section
For LinkedIn personal profiles, review all content sections; can any be updated, removed or added?
- Update main profile URL (i.e. the website that your profile links to)
- Review and turn notifications on or off
Are there any accounts that you do or don’t require email or pop up notifications for? Review and update to either keep you informed, or save you time and distractions.
- Review and update any automations/integrations
Do any of your accounts automatically cross post? Or do third party applications have access to them? Remove any that are no longer required, or update as required.
- Review and update other accounts that your account follows or likes
Remove any unnecessary ones, add new ones, create lists to follow more effectively.
Additional items for Facebook Pages:
- Review and update category/ies
- Review and update Services (for Professional Service category business pages)
- Review and update custom tabs (add, remove, change the order)
- Review and update main profile button (is it still relevant or can it be updated?)
- Add any Milestones
- Unpin or Pin any relevant updates to the top of your feed (applies to Twitter as well)
- Review your Timeline photos; can any be added to, or collated in albums?
- If you have any videos; can the Feature video be updated? Can you create or update any playlists?
If you would like to download these as a handy PDF checklist, subscribe here:
If you would like to do a more thorough review of your digital channels, check out our spring cleaning tips here.0